Patron Code of Conduct
For the comfort and safety of all library patrons, all library users must adhere to the following policies of the Carnegie Public Library. The spirit of these policies is to ensure a pleasant environment for everyone who is using the library. Both patrons and Library staff have the right to a secure and congenial environment.
- Behavior that disrupts or hinders use of the Library is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, loud or boisterous behavior, verbal or physical harassment, public indecency, drunkenness or drug intoxication, running, and fighting.
- Threats, abuse, or physical harm to library patrons or staff is not allowed.
- Blocking or in any way interfering with the free movement of any person is not permitted.
- Misrepresenting eligibility for services or identity in order to receive Library services is prohibited.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco are not permitted on Library property.
- Selling products or services, soliciting donations or business, or distributing materials is not permitted on Library property. Exceptions may be made for Library-sponsored programs or when otherwise authorized by the Library Administration. Panhandling is not permitted on Library property.
- Taking surveys, circulating petitions, and similar activities are permitted in the Library only when authorized by the Library Director.
- Animals, except those used to aid persons with disabilities, or as part of a Library-sponsored program, are not permitted in the Library. Animals may not be left unattended on Library property.
- Parents or other legal guardians are responsible for the behavior of their minor children in the Library. Any child under the age of 10 must be accompanied by a guardian 16 or older.
- The violation of federal or state laws or local ordinances is not permitted on Library property. Theft, vandalism, and mutilation of Library property are criminal offenses and will be prosecuted. The Library reserves the right to inspect all bags, briefcases, backpacks, and other such items when the staff has reason to believe this rule has been violated. Personal belongings should not be left unattended, and the Library has no responsibility for such items.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages or possession of open containers of alcoholic beverages is not permitted on Library property.
- Bathing or the washing of hair or clothes is not permitted. Persons whose bodily hygiene is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to other library users will be asked to leave.
- Sleeping is not allowed in the library when it interferes with Library services or other users.
- Staring at or following others with the intent to annoy or harass them is not permitted.
- Eavesdropping on other Library users or staff is prohibited as an invasion of privacy and confidentiality.
- Failure to comply with these rules may result in the loss of Library use privileges.
Procedure for disruption/unruly behavior:
- Staff will ask the patron to desist their behavior and a warning given. This warning will be documented for the library director in a written incident report.
- The library director will contact the patron in person, by mail or telephone, to discuss the incident. In instances involving minors, the incident may be reported to parents/guardian.
- If the patron refuses to comply with a request or responds in an abusive fashion, the patron will be required to leave the library premises. If the patron refuses to leave, the police will be summoned to remove him or her.
- If the offense is repeated, the patron will have library privileges suspended for a length of time to be determined by the library director. The patron is not to attempt to use or to enter the library during the suspension. An attempt to do so will be reported to the police as trespassing. If a patron has lost their library privileges, they will receive a formal, written letter from the Library Director stating why, and for how long their privileges have been revoked.
- If the actions of the patron constitute an immediate threat to patrons or staff, the police will be immediately summoned and the party removed or arrested.