"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Ferguson protests spread across US Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:55:42 GMT
- A dozen US cities see new protests over the decision not to charge a white policeman who shot a black teenager in Missouri, with rioting in California.
- Juncker reveals giant EU jobs plan Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:53:56 GMT
- European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker gives details of a €315bn (£250bn; $393bn) investment plan to kick-start Europe's economy.
- Climate fixes 'could harm billions' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 01:12:15 GMT
- Schemes to tackle climate change could prove disastrous for billions of people, but might be required for the good of the planet, scientists say.
- Cricketer Hughes 'remains critical' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:57:18 GMT
- Australia batsman Phil Hughes remains in a critical condition after being struck on the head by a ball in a match.
- Theft of shoes from WW2 death camp Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:49:21 GMT
- Thieves steal shoes belonging to Jewish Holocaust victims from a former concentration camp in Poland.
- Dozens arrested in HK crackdown Wed, 26 Nov 2014 08:02:41 GMT
- Scores of protesters including two prominent student leaders are arrested in Mong Kok during operations to dismantle protest camps.
- AC/DC drummer appears in court in NZ Wed, 26 Nov 2014 02:53:34 GMT
- The Australian drummer of rock group AC/DC briefly appears in court in New Zealand, arriving late, to face a charge of threatening to kill.
- Shakespeare Folio found in France Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:15:44 GMT
- A rare Shakespeare First Folio, regarded as the most important book in English literature, is discovered in a small French town.
- Messi breaks Champions League record Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:11:54 GMT
- Barcelona's Lionel Messi becomes the Champions League's all-time top scorer by scoring against Apoel Nicosia.
- Armed jewel robbers in Paris chase Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:43:39 GMT
- Two armed robbers who held up a jewellery shop and took a hostage hand themselves in to police following a chase across Paris.
- VIDEO: What does Ukraine's future hold? Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:29:05 GMT
- One year since popular protests began in Ukraine, a new government prepares to take office, amid calls for reform.
- VIDEO: Where now for HK protesters? Wed, 26 Nov 2014 04:09:32 GMT
- The removal of the Mong Kok activist camp by the authorities means protests in Hong Kong continue in just two sites.
- VIDEO: How to hack a molecular microscope Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:07:46 GMT
- A PhD student from Brunel University London has saved himself £100,000 by 'hacking' his own kit.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:47:34 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Mobile showers for the homeless Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:00:29 GMT
- A new initiative in San Francisco offers the city's homeless population mobile showers and toilets in a converted bus.