"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."
- Greek exit polls suggest Syriza win Sun, 25 Jan 2015 17:57:49 GMT
- Exit polls suggest clear victory for anti-austerity Syriza party in tightly fought Greek general election.
- Boko Haram attacks key Nigeria city Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:49:34 GMT
- Fighters from the Islamist militant group Boko Haram launch an attack on the key city of Maiduguri in north-eastern Nigeria.
- Murray beats Dimitrov in epic Sun, 25 Jan 2015 13:59:30 GMT
- Andy Murray wins a gruelling late-night contest with Grigor Dimitrov to reach the Australian Open quarter-finals.
- At least 10 killed in Egypt protests Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:42:50 GMT
- At least 10 people are killed in Cairo during street protests marking the fourth anniversary of the start Egypt's 2011 uprising.
- Ukraine vows to 'calm' fighting Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:45:43 GMT
- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko vows to "calm" fighting with pro-Russia rebels, a day after 30 people were killed in Mariupol.
- Failed bid to raise AirAsia fuselage Sun, 25 Jan 2015 10:09:00 GMT
- The Indonesian official leading efforts to recover AirAsia flight QZ8501 says the fuselage appears to be too fragile to be lifted, after failed bids to raise it.
- WHO vows reform after Ebola 'shocks' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:01:32 GMT
- The World Health Organization sets out plans for reform, admitting it was too slow to respond to the "horrific" Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
- Nisman reporter flees Argentina Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:16:12 GMT
- A journalist believed to have been the first to report the death of Argentine prosecutor Alberto Nisman says he has fled the country, fearing for his life.
- Eyes on Pluto for historic encounter Sun, 25 Jan 2015 11:28:06 GMT
- Nasa's mission to Pluto gets under way in earnest as the New Horizons probe starts taking the pictures needed for July's close fly-by.
- US condolences over Japan 'IS death' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 11:46:29 GMT
- US President Barack Obama calls Japan's PM to offer condolences after the apparent murder of a Japanese hostage by Islamic State.
- India and US seal nuclear deal Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:03:40 GMT
- India and the US announce a breakthrough on a deal for supplying civilian nuclear technology, on the first day of President Barack Obama's visit.
- Sniper film 'stoking Islamophobia' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:21:47 GMT
- The release of the film American Sniper has led to an increase in threats against Muslims in the US, an Arab-American civil rights group says.
- VIDEO: Bolivia's festival of miniatures Sun, 25 Jan 2015 04:56:13 GMT
- People in Bolivia have been holding a fair with a difference - everything is in miniature.
- VIDEO: Colin Firth on being an 'unlikely killer' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:42:28 GMT
- Actor Colin Firth has said the director of Kingsman: The Secret Service, Matthew Vaughn, cast him in the film because he was so unlikely to be seen as a cold killer
- VIDEO: Australian Open feels like home - Nishikori Sun, 25 Jan 2015 16:36:39 GMT
- Japan's Kei Nishikori says the Australian Open feels like "home" ahead of his fourth round match against David Ferrer.