"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
—James Bryce (1838-1922) British diplomat, historian, known as First Viscount Bryce of Dechmont
- Ukraine move draws Putin threat Thu, 24 Apr 2014 12:30:43 GMT
- Ukrainian commandos advance on the separatist stronghold of Sloviansk in eastern Ukraine as Russia's President Putin warns of "consequences".
- Japan pact 'covers disputed islands' Thu, 24 Apr 2014 06:08:02 GMT
- US President Barack Obama restates support for Japan over disputed islands but warns that dialogue - not escalation - is the way forward.
- Ecclestone denies bribery in Germany Thu, 24 Apr 2014 12:54:01 GMT
- Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone denies charges of bribery at the start of his trial in Munich and says he will fight to clear his name.
- US medics killed in Kabul attack Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:56:17 GMT
- Three American medical staff are shot dead by a policeman guarding a hospital in the Afghan capital, Kabul, officials say.
- Korea ferry disaster school reopens Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:46:33 GMT
- The South Korean school devastated by the loss of many of its students in a ferry disaster last week starts to hold classes again.
- Rio police 'to probe' dancer's death Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:08:47 GMT
- Police in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro say they will conduct a thorough investigation into the death of a dancer which sparked riots.
- Abdullah leads Afghan poll count Thu, 24 Apr 2014 13:00:21 GMT
- Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah remains the frontrunner with 80% of votes counted, although a run-off vote next month is expected.
- Buddha tattoo woman to be flown home Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:05:22 GMT
- A British tourist arrested in Sri Lanka because she had a Buddha tattoo on her arm says she has not been "shown compassion" as she faces deportation.
- Pakistan targets 'militant hideouts' Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:46:24 GMT
- Pakistan fighter jets target compounds thought to be hideouts for militants connected to a recent series of attacks in the country, officials say.
- Facebook earnings surge on mobile ads Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:03:50 GMT
- Social networking giant Facebook reports better than expected profits, as a surge in mobile advertising helps boost its revenues.
- China releases Japanese cargo ship Thu, 24 Apr 2014 05:33:01 GMT
- China has released a Japanese cargo ship it seized over a war-time debt, a court statement says, after the Japanese firm paid compensation.
- Modi in Varanasi as Indians vote Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:23:28 GMT
- Narendra Modi, the politician many expect to be India's next leader, submits his election nomination papers as Indians vote in the sixth phase of their poll.
- Tarantino Gawker case dismissed Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:00:14 GMT
- A judge dismisses Quentin Tarantino's attempt to sue gossip website Gawker for $1m for helping to leak his The Hateful Eight screenplay.
- VIDEO: Film features plight of African park Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:22:06 GMT
- The lethal realities of life in Virunga National Park are the subject of a British documentary which has just had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York.
- VIDEO: Calm returns to Rio favela after riots Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:07:33 GMT
- The BBC's Wyre Davies visits the Pavaozinho complex the day after riots broke out following the death of a young man allegedly beaten by police.