"To my daughter Leonora without whose never failing sympathy and encouragement this book would have been completed in half the time."
—P. G. Wodehouse
- Afghan contenders sign unity deal Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:25:18 GMT
- A deal to form a unity government in Afghanistan has been signed at a televised ceremony in Kabul, ending months of political wrangling.
- Deal to end Yemen crisis signed Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:46:49 GMT
- The Yemeni government and Shia Houthi rebels sign an agreement aimed at ending the political crisis which has gripped the country for weeks.
- Global protests over climate change Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:57:52 GMT
- Street protests demanding urgent action on climate change have been taking place around the world, with marches reported in more than 2,000 locations.
- Pope decries 'perverted' extremists Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:02:55 GMT
- Tens of thousands of people attend a Mass by Pope Francis, as the pontiff hits out at extremists "perverting" religion to justify violence.
- Moscow rally against Ukraine crisis Sun, 21 Sep 2014 15:34:00 GMT
- Tens of thousands of Russians are marching in Moscow in protest against Russia's involvement in the Ukraine crisis.
- Kenya marks Westgate mall attack Sun, 21 Sep 2014 16:33:55 GMT
- Kenya is marking a year since the attack by Islamist militants on Nairobi's Westgate shopping centre, in which at least 67 people were killed.
- Turkish troops clear border Kurds Sun, 21 Sep 2014 11:42:46 GMT
- Turkish troops fire water cannon and tear gas at crowds which had gathered at the border in support of Syrian Kurdish refugees.
- UK hostage's wife in appeal to IS Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:08:30 GMT
- The wife of a British taxi driver being held hostage by Islamic State appeals to the militants to "see it in their hearts" to release him.
- Deadly bomb blast in central Cairo Sun, 21 Sep 2014 09:43:17 GMT
- A bomb explosion near the Egyptian foreign ministry in Cairo kills at least two police officers, security officials say.
- Deadly Egypt military aircraft crash Sun, 21 Sep 2014 13:05:05 GMT
- A military aircraft has crashed in Egypt, killing six crew, state TV reports.
- Molten metal batteries for the grid Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:50:22 GMT
- Engineers have invented a battery made of three liquefied metals, which they say is efficient and cheap enough to store power on the electric grid.
- More celeb 'naked pictures' leaked Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:06:39 GMT
- Kim Kardashian, Mary-Kate Olsen and Vanessa Hudgens seem to be some of the latest victims.
- Cape Fear actress Bergen dies aged 84 Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:47:53 GMT
- Polly Bergen, the actress whose fictional family was terrorised by Robert Mitchum in the 1962 film Cape Fear, dies aged 84.
- VIDEO: Jude Law: "DRC gone off the radar" Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:19:43 GMT
- During a trip to the troubled region of Eastern DRC, British actor Jude Law called for more international attention to be given to the country.
- VIDEO: Prohibition plans for Kerala Sun, 21 Sep 2014 06:42:32 GMT
- The southern Indian state of Kerala has said it will ban the sale and consumption of alcohol to tackle the problem of excessive drinking.